Editor's note: The following notes of the second public forum for the Search for the next U.P. Diliman Chancellor was sent to us by Former Faculty Regent Judy M. Taguiwalo. We are posting this in view of continued reader interest in the changes in leadership throughout the University of the Philippines System
By Former Faculty Regent Judy M. Taguiwalo
The second three-year term of UP Diliman Chancellor Segio Cao ends on February 28, 2011. The search for the next UP Diliman Chancellor started early this month with the constitution of the Search Committee.
Two of the three public fora on the nominees for the Chancellor have been held. The first one, principally for the students, was held last January 24, 2011 at the NISMED Auditorium. The second one, principally for the faculty was held this morning at the College of Law Auditorium . I missed the first forum as I had to attend the UPD Executive Committee meeting. But I made sure to attend this morning’s forum to share with you pictures and an account of what transpired this morning.
All five nominees were given seven minutes to present their vision paper. The order of presentation determined by drawing lots was the following: Former Engineering Dean Rowena Guevara, College of Science Dean Caesar Saloma , Dr. Patrick Azanza, UCWS Director Sylvia Claudio and College of Mass Communication Dean Rolando Tolentino . After the presentations written questions submitted by the audience were asked and answered by all five nominees.
Here are the questions based on my notes. (These are not verbatim as I could not write that fast)
1. What is your track record in practicing democratic governance? And what are your concrete plans to ensure such if chosen as Chancellor?
2. There is a sense of the dominance of the natural science and engineering in the university as indicated by the resources channeled to them and the use of natural science criteria for evaluating faculty. Corollary to this, the humanities and the social sciences appear to be in the margins. Please comment.
3. The Administration’s assessment of the RGEP has still to be disseminated widely but news has cropped up of the flaws of the program. What will you do as Chancellor to address these flaws?
4. How do you intend to handle issues of plagiarism in the university?
There are flaws in the tenure process for faculty with the Sarah Raymundo case as the most recent example. 5. How are you going to handle such cases taking into account departmental autonomy?
6. Paano mo ipatutupad ang palisiya sa pambansang wika at ano ang maging papel ng Sentro ng Wika sa iyong administrasyon?
7. What are your thoughts on the recent approval of the BOR of the Ayala contract to lease the present UPIS site?
8. Who among your professors/colleagues have inspired you the most?
The forum ended at around 11:45 am. The third and last forum, principally for the REPS and administrative staff, will be on February 7, 2011, from 2:00 to 4:30 pm at the Claro M. Recto Hall, Faculty Center .
The Search Committee will also be available for consultation to all sectors of U.P. Diliman on February 3 (Thursday) from 10:00 am to 12:00 nn at the BOR Meeting Room in Quezon Hall.
The Board of Regents will choose the new Chancellor on February 24, 2011 during its regular meeting.
UPDATE: To see Diliman Diary's Ice Morales' Notes on the Answers of the Nominees for U.P. Diliman Chancellor last January 31, 2011, please click on this link: http://diliman-diary.blogspot.com/2011/02/notes-on-answers-of-nominees-in-2nd.html