Monday, June 25, 2012

Doctor Love: Top 6 Famous Love Letters in History





Thinking of professing your love to that special someone? Don’t send a text message or an email. Please.

Here are the top 6 love letters from history that will surely melt the heart of the ladies and provide the men a bit of inspiration and a little bravado to follow in the footsteps of some of history's greatest men.


Henry VIII to Anne Boleyn


Artist Arthur Hopkins

Sure he said, “Off with her head!” in 1536 but when the infamous playboy Henry VIII was still so in love with Anne Boleyn, he wrote her this letter:

I beg to know expressly your intention touching the love between us. Necessity compels me to obtain this answer, having been more than a year wounded by the dart of love, and not yet sure whether I shall fail or find a place in your affection.”

Anne and Henry had one child they named Elizabeth.  Elizabeth later on became one of the most famous English Queens in history.



Napoleon to his wife Josephine Bonaparte

Napoleon’s real waterloo is his wife Josephine and his letters to her shows that the French leader had a soft side. He divorced her when she couldn’t bear him children but continued to write her anyway.  


He wrote this letter on July 17th, 1796 when they were still married and Napoleon had to leave to command the French Army in Italy's borders.


“Since I left you, I have been constantly depressed. My Happiness is to be near you. Incessantly I live over in my memory your caresses, your tears, your affectionate solicitude. The charms of the incomparable Josephine kindle continually a burning and a glowing flame in my heart. When, free from all solicitude, all harassing care, shall I be able to pass all my time with you, having only to love you, and to think only of the happiness of so saying, and of proving it to you?”


Beethoven to his Immortal Beloved


Beethoven in his younger years.
It is believed that famous musician and composer’s immortal beloved is Antonie Brentano, a daughter of a diplomat.  Brentano, a married woman, being Beethoven's Immortal Beloved has been disputed by scholars Goldschmidt, Beahrs, Gail S. Altman, and Marie-Elisabeth Tellenbach because Beethoven had a strict moral code. These scholars are firm in their opinion that Beethoven would never have an affair with a friend's wife. The wealthy merchant Franz Brentano is believed to be a dear friend of the composer. 

Aside from the heartfelt letters Beethoven sent to his Immortal Beloved whoever she may be, he also dedicated his Diabelli Variations Op. 120 to her. Here’s one of his letters:


“Though still in bed, my thoughts go out to you, my Immortal Beloved, Be calm-love me-today-yesterday-what tearful longings for you-you-you-my life-my all-farewell. Oh continue to love me-never misjudge the most faithful heart of your beloved. Ever thine. Ever mine. Ever ours.”

Winston Churchill to his wife Clementine

The two were married for 57 years and constantly wrote to each other whenever one was far away from the other. In an interview released by the Smithsonian, Churchill quipped, "My most brilliant achievement was my ability to persuade my wife to marry me."


The man who carried Britain through its darkest hour has a soft spot for one woman and one woman alone -his wife Clementine. This photo of the couple was taken on the Thames in 1940


This letter was written by the former British Prime Minister on January 23, 1935:


“My darling Clemmie, in your letter from Madras you wrote some words very dear to me, about having enriched your life. I cannot tell you what pleasure this gave me, because I always feel so overwhelmingly in your debt, if there can be accounts in love…What it has been to me to live all these years in your heart and companionship no phrases can convey.”

Frida Kahlo to Diego Rivera

When Frida Kahlo passed away in 1954, Diego was by her side.

The famous artist wrote to her husband frequently. She once said that there have been two grave accidents in her life –one when she was hit by a streetcar and the other –Diego. Below is the letter sent by Kahlo to Rivera in the year 1940:

“Diego my love- Remember that once  you finish the fresco we will be together forever once and for all, without arguments or anything, only to love one another. Behave yourself and do everything that Emmy Lou tells you. I adore you more than ever. Your girl, Frida (Write me).”

Ronald Reagan to his wife Nancy

Wallace asked the President why the office didn't weigh on him like it had on others and the camera cut to a rosy cheeked, vibrant and twinkle-eyed Reagan and his response was "well, maybe they didn't have a Nancy." (Mike Wallace's interview with Ronald Reagan) 

President Ronald Reagan wrote a number of letters to the First Lady from the time they met. He gave her this love note on Valentine’s Day in the year 1977:

“Dear St. Valentine,

I am writing to you about a beautiful young lady who has been in this household for 25 years now –come March 4.

I have a request to make of you but before doing so feel you should know more about her. For one thing she has 2 hearts – her own and mine. I’m not complaining. I gave her mine willingly, and like it right where it is. Her name is Nancy but for some time now I’ve called her Mommie and don’t believe I could change.

My request of you is –could you on this day whisper in her ear that someone loves her very much and more and more each day? Also tell her this “Someone” would run down like a dollar clock without her so she must always stay where she is.”

Photos via flickr.com, chestofbooks.com, theroyalforums.com, santamonicaflowers.com, fortheloveofausten.com, smithsonianmag.com, istanbul74.com, jerseynut.blogspot.com, barewalls.com, time.com

Article and Research: Sigrid Salucop





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

The Diary Archive