(From top to bottom: U.P. Regents Charisse B.
Bañez, Clodualdo Cabrera and Judy Taguiwalo)
An announcement has been released by the Office of the Office of the U.P. Student Regent, Staff Regent and Faculty Regent that a U.P. sectoral regents forum will be held on March 22, 2010 from 1 to 5 p.m., at Claro M. Recto Hall, Faculty Center, U.P. Diliman.
The announcement also says that that Section 3 (Purpose of the University) of the 2008 UP Charter stipulates that the University's function is to "(h) Provide democratic governance in the University based on collegiality, representation, accountability, transparency and active participation of its constituents, and promote the holding of fora for students, faculty, research, extension and professional staff (REPS), staff, and alumni to discuss non-academic issues affecting the University.”
“However, democratic governance, or rather the undemocratic governance in the university has become a serious issue under the administration of UP President Emerlinda R. Roman. Already, two cases have been filed against the University: one by Student Regent Charisse Bernadine Bañez and the other by PGH Director Dr. Jose Gonzales.”
“It is in this light that, the UP Sectoral Regents (Faculty, Staff, and Student Regent) are sponsoring a forum on "THE BOARD OF REGENTS AND (UN)DEMOCRATIC GOVERNANCE IN THE UNIVERSITY."
Some of the governance issues to be discussed are:
- The UP Diliman University Council and the Board of Regents (BOR) on withdrawal of graduation of students found guilty of misconduct
- The removal of student representation in the BOR
- The removal of Dr. Jose Gonzales as Executive Director of the Philippine General Hospital
- The reappointment of the UP Mindanao Chancellor (Dr. Gilda Rivero)
- The expired appointments of the three Malacanang appointed Regents (Francis Chua, Nelia Gonzales, and Abraham Sarmiento).
- The lack of consultation in the BOR recommendation for new appointees to Malacañang to the BOR.