Sunday, April 24, 2011

Statement of Ombudsman Ma. Merceditas N. Gutierrez (April 18, 2011)

SENATE RECEIVES ARTICLES OF IMPEACHMENT: Senate Secretary Emma Lirio Reyes receives the articles of impeachment that will be used against Ombudsman Merceditas Gutierrez from Representatives Niel Tupas, Rodolfo Fariñas, Erin Tañada and Rey Umali. (PRIB Photo by Alex Nuevaespaña)

Press Release

I have been attacked numerous times, though unjustly and without basis. Many of these attacks have been coming not only from my usual detractors but from no less than the President of the Republic himself.

Despite his repeated pronouncements, mostly before graduating students of various schools in Metro Manila, that he is “at war” against me, I have chosen to be silent mainly because I have deep respect to the institution that the President represents.

Despite the open call of the President to impeach me and his calling on the people, especially young students, to support the impeachment proceedings against me, I would not engage him in a word war before the public as this would only demean both of us, especially in this season of Lent.

Just the same, the case against me is now with the Senate. The Senate should be allowed to do its job without any interference or pressure. I have always expressed my willingness to take part in the legal processes because it is the only way the issues raised against me will be resolved.

I am willingly submitting myself before the Senate as an impeachment court not only because I am confident that I will be vindicated in the end but also because the Senate as an institution should be protected against any perceived pressure or partiality.

I have always believed in and strived for the preservation of institutions. Institutions must be preserved and protected and not demeaned and destroyed. Otherwise, we go back to tyranny and dictatorship where the rule of those in power reigns supreme over reason and the rule of law.

Despite all that he has said and done, I maintain my deep respect for the President. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

The Diary Archive